How to wash a Full Lace and Lace Front wigs?
- Taking care of your lace wig is important to keep it looking natural and lasting longer. Wash your wig only as needed or about every one to two weeks. Washing it too often may place excessive tension on the hair and lace, causing damage to the wig.
Before washing your wig, you will need:
- wide tooth comb or detangling brush
- Styrofoam head
- T push pins (to secure the wig onto the Styrofoam head)
- empty spray bottle
- Sulphate Free shampoo
- Sulphate Free Conditioner
While not wearing your Full Lace Front or Lace Front Wig:
- Remove the wig from your head and apply wig adhesive remover (LINK) onto any adhesive residue left on the lace. Use a soft bristle brush (i.e. toothbrush) to lift the glue or tape residue from the lace.
- Before you wash your lace wig dampen the hair by spraying leave-in conditioner (LINK) or wig detangler onto the hair. This softens the hair and prevents unnecessary tension and pulling on the hair when combing.
- Use a wide tooth comb or detangling brush to remove any tangles or knots. Comb through the hair, starting at the ends first and then work your up to the base (root). Be sure to start at the ends of the hair. Combing your hair starting at the top may cause the hair to shed, break or tangle due to excess pulling.
- Place your lace wig on a Styrofoam head. Use T pins to hold it in place.
- Sit the Styrofoam head in the sink and saturate it with lukewarm water. Pour a little shampoo and warm water into a spray bottle. Spray the shampoo onto the hair. Use your fingers or wide tooth comb to work the shampoo through the hair. Remember to start at the ends of the hair. Do not rub the shampoo into the hair as it may cause tangling. It is recommended to use a sulfate-free shampoo(LINK). Sulfate-free hair products retain hair moisture and help prevent the hair from becoming dry.
- Place the Styrofoam head under a gentle stream of lukewarm water and rinse out the shampoo.
- Add sulfate-free conditioner(LINK) and water in a spray bottle and saturate the hair. Use a comb to work the conditioner through the hair. Leave conditioner (LINK)on for about 10 minutes and then rinse. Squeeze water out of the hair.
- Remove the wig from the Styrofoam head and place it on a soft towel. Fold the towel over the hair and blot or pat it to remove excess water. Unfold the towel and allow the hair to air dry on towel. If the towel is very damp, then place the hair on another one.Allowing the hair to air dry on the towel will help preserve the shape. Do not use a hair dryer or any other heat source to make the hair dry quicker as it may damage the wig. Once the hair is completely dry you may use a flat or curling iron to curl the hair.If you decide to roller set your hair, after you rinse out the conditioner, leave the hair on the Styrofoam head. Roll the hair while it is still damp and allow it to completely air dry.
- Use Knot Sealer (LINK)to help prevent unnecessary hair shedding. Once the hair is completely dry, turn the wig inside out and spray Knot Sealer (LINK) throughout the cap. Wait approximately 10 minutes for it to dry and spry another coat of Knot Sealer. Once dry, put the wig on your head and style as usual.
If you are washing your hair in the Shower with your wig on!
While wearing your Full Lace Front or Lace Front Wig: You may wash your Full Lace Front or Lace Front wig while wearing it. You just want to be sure you are very gentle while doing so. Focus on getting the hair strands clean, do not massage as you would your normal hair. Once finished, gently towel dry and blow-dry on low or just let it air dry by itself. You may then apply a conditioner for about 5-10 minutes, then rinse thoroughly.