Home care of Wigs, Hair pieces, Wiglets and Falls
Shedding on a wig is to be expected due to the fact that the hair is hand tied by a single knot (sometimes a double knot) to the lace material. To ensure that shedding is minimized, Marquesa Hair uses a technique of infusing a small amount of adhesive with the knot to further secure and fortify. While, this does not completely eliminate the problem of shedding, it does significantly minimize excessive knot slippage. Excessive shedding can cause thinning of the hair and bald patches on your unit. To minimize these effects it is very important that proper care be taken at home during combing, styling and everyday use. Below are things to avoid.
Causes for Shedding Balding/Thinning
1. Combing your lace wig while it is still wet after washing and conditioning
2. Roughness while combing and washing/handing your lace wig
3. Using very oily or greasy haircare products on your unit
4. Not thoroughly removing adhesives from your unit prior to washing
5. Using hot or very warm water when washing your unit
6. Combing your wig from root to tip instead of from tip to root.
Below are a few maintenance techniques, which will help prevent excessive hair, shedding.
1. Use Knot Sealer- Knot Sealer (LINK HERE) is a product that comes in small spray bottle that is used to seal the knots on your lace wig. Turn the wig inside out, spray on the mesh or lace and allow it to completely dry before wearing it. It is also important that you reseal the knots after every wash. Wait for your unit to completely dry before spraying Knots Sealer. Knot Sealer is available in the “Accessories” section of our website.
2. Do Not Scratch your scalp through your lace wig as this will cause shedding. Instead, pat your head with your hand or remove your unit and treat your scalp with anti-itch shampoo and then moisturize your scalp.
3. Use a wide toothcomb or wig brush (cushion brush). Comb from the tip up while holding the hair above so that you will avoid pulling at the knots.
4. Never comb your lace wig while wet. Prior to washing the hair make sure you comb it out thoroughly.
5. Avoid using care products with high Alcohol content (ie. Spritz, Hair Spray, Shampoos etc.), these products can damage the hair causing breakage and/or shedding.
6. You must thoroughly remove glue residue from our wig. Letting adhesives build up on your unit will cause shedding.
7. Do not Blow Dry or Sit under a dryer with heat. We highly recommend letting your unit air dry after washing. If you must brow dry, make sure it is on a cool setting. Blow Dryer heat will damage/split the knots causing shedding.
8. When sleeping in your unit it is best to braid up your hair so it does not tangle while you sleep.
You should gently comb your unit out each night prior to wrapping it up in the scarf. Also it is very important that you wrap a silk or satin scarf or bonnet around your head, this will help to prevent friction which will cause breakage and/or shedding.
Caring for your lace wig and minimizing tangling
Caring for your lace wig requires proper routine maintenance. The products you use on your lace wig are one of the main factors that will determine how healthy the hair on your lace wig looks and how long it will last. Most main stream products found at the super market or drug store are not ideal for lace wig care. The reason is because these products have a very high alcohol and chemical content which can be detrimental to the hair on your unit. Alcohol severely dries the hair while a high chemical content creates a high alkaline pH which causes tangling.
PH Levels in Hair Care products
The pH levels of hair products is one of the least known but most important characteristic of the hair care products you choose to use on your unit. You should always use a product that is pH balanced for optimal feel and styling. The optimal pH range for hair products is from 4 to 6 (which an acidic balance). An acidic shampoo or conditioner causes hair cuticles to lie down, resulting in smooth manageable hair. Alkaline Shampoos & conditioners (high pH above 7) cause the cuticles to raise causing tangled and unmanageable hair. Botanical hair products are pH balanced to provide the optimal balance needed for manageable hair.
You want your Marquesa, 100% human hair wigs to last and last, without looking dull. To help you ensure the longevity of your 100% human hair wigs,
Here are some tips:
1. Combing: 100% human hair wigs can become tangled. To untangle the hair, spray on a de-tangle product or leave-in conditioner and start combing from the tips on up. Do not force the comb through. Instead, work in sections, and work slowly.
2. Shampoo: You will likely want to clean your 100% human hair wigs at least once a week. While regular shampoo and conditioner can be used some wigs, products made specifically for 100% human hair wigs are definitely best. This is partly because that although made from human hair, unlike real hair, 100% human hair wigs do not receive the natural oils that the scalp makes. Some 100% human hair wigs can be worn in the shower and washed as you would wash real hair, but not all can. Be sure to read the care instructions that come with your wig.
3. Storage: Store your 100% human hair wigs on Styrofoam heads or wig stands when you are not wearing them. This is also a good place to dry your wigs where they can maintain their shape.
4. Styling: 100% human hair wigs can be styled like regular hair, but you must be extremely GENTLE with your new hair. Use low setting blow dryers and curling irons, etc. (synthetic wigs would melt in such heat). Nonetheless, excesive heated styling can damage human hair wigs, just as it can damage natural hair. For the best result, have an expert stylist, both cut and style your wig to suit you best. Get your 100% human hair wigs serviced once a month by an expert stylist.
5. Avoid Shedding: We made the lace wigs by human hand, you can believe the quality of it, however, you can follow the advice below to avoid shedding.
a) Do not touch the root of the wig.
b) Do not let the wig get tangled or matted.
c) Keep the hair flow natural
4) Sometimes you can brush the wig with your fingers instead of using a comb. You should treat your 100% human hair wigs with lots care, more than you would your natural hair. Remember, your human hair piece can frizz in humid climates, just like natural hair. It can get matted if you wear it to bed, just like natural hair…
If you have any other questions or suggestions, please let us know. We are here to answer any questions you may have.
Thanks & Enjoy!
Marquesa Hair Team